When executed properly, yoga can not just give you energy to start your day, but can help calm your body before sleep.
Are you curious how you can use yoga to improve your sleep? Here are a few tips on how to use yoga as a powerful sleep aid.
6 Yoga Tips for Deep Sleep
- Release tension. Before you get started with yoga before sleep, know that gentle forward bending will release tension in the postural muscles that support you all day long. When we lay down these muscles can rest but often do not shut off because of habit.
- Wind down. Sitting cross legged on the floor in front of a chair with your arms and head resting on the seat of the chair for a couple of minutes to each side is beneficial for winding down.
- Watch your breath. Watching the completion of the exhalation without forcing it can focus and calm the mind.
- Unbind yourself. Massaging the feet and calf muscles can get us out of our head and release bindings that keep us restless.
- Stretch out. Standing in front of a chair and bending forward to rest your arms and head on the seat of the chair with straight legs opens the hamstrings to further turn down the bodies’ fight or fight mechanisms.
- Calm your eyes. Cover your eyes lightly with your hands and observe the movement and feeling of your eyes.
Have a good sleep.
Did you like this post? You might also like 6 Yoga Tips to Fight Insomnia by my wife and fellow yoga instructor Colleen Saidman Yee.