Frequently asked questions
- What is UP? What does it do?
- Band + App + You = The UP System
UP is a system that takes a holistic approach to a healthy lifestyle. The wristband tracks your movement and sleep in the background. The app displays your data, lets you add things like meals and mood, and delivers insights that keep you moving forward.
- Where can I get an UP band?
- UP bands are available on the Jawbone Online Store and Authorized Retailers. All colors and sizes may not be available or in stock at all locations, so be sure to check with your local authorized retailer.
- What colors does it come in?
- UP comes in the following colors: Onyx, Mint Green, Light Grey, Blue, Navy Blue, Red, Orange & Hunter Green. All colors and sizes may not be available or in stock at all locations. Check with your local Authorized Retailer or online at the Jawbone.com store for current availability. You may also sign up to be notified when new colors become available.
- What sizes does it come in? How do I know what size I need?
- UP is available in Small, Medium, and Large. It's important that your band fits comfortably since you'll be wearing it 24/7. Use our online sizing tool, or the sizing guide on the back flap of the UP retail packaging. If you're between two sizes, we recommend choosing the larger size.
- Is it water resistant? Can I wear it swimming?
- Your band is rain, splash, sweat, and shower-resistant, but you should remove your band before swimming, surfing, or exposing to other extreme conditions and activities like saunas and steam rooms. Do not submerge your band in liquids, including hot tubs or baths, at any time.
- What is UP made of?
- UP is encased in medical-grade, hypoallergenic rubber. It is smooth, flexible and completely latex-free. The cap is made of Nickel and TR-90 Nylon. Inside, UP contains sophisticated technology — a processing core, battery, vibration motor, sensors and memory — so treat your band with care and avoid unnecessary bending.
- How does UP sync?
- UP was designed to quickly and simply sync your data with your device using the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Carefully plug your band directly into the jack, and do not bend UP during sync.
- How should I take off/put on my band?
- Bend your band just enough to take it off and put it on, one end at a time. Avoid excessive stretching and twisting, and take extra care when syncing or removing clothing.
- How do I clean my band?
- Clean the exterior of your band with Isopropyl Alcohol or alcohol-based sanitizer applied to a cloth or cotton swab. Do not submerge the band in any liquids.
- How long does the battery last?
- The battery in your UP band lasts up to 10 days when fully charged. Enable notifications on your device to receive a friendly reminder when it’s time to charge your band. We suggest charging while doing a stationary activity - at your desk, during a shower or relaxing on the couch, and keeping the cap near the band while on the charger. UP typically takes about 80 minutes to fully charge, but will charge to about 80% in 45 minutes.
- How does UP track my movement and sleep?
- UP uses a precision motion sensor and powerful algorithms to passively track and quantify your steps, distance, calories, active time, and idle time. It calculates calories burned based on your age, gender, height and weight, along with activity intensity and duration. UP uses Actigraphy to track your sleep, monitoring your micro movements to determine whether you are awake, in light sleep, or in deep sleep.
- How do I know it's accurate?
- Your UP band uses cutting-edge MotionX technology to track activity, giving it superior accuracy. While variations in user, terrain, and activity conditions can influence specific calculations, testing has shown UP to provide industry-leading accuracy in tracking activity and sleep. You can also use the built-in calibration feature to make UP even more accurate for you.
- Will it work if I cycle, do yoga, or other non-step-based workouts?
- The UP app allows you to log the duration and effort level of a variety of different workout types, so you get credit and estimated caloric burn for non-step-based activities. Additionally, the UP band has a Stopwatch mode that lets you "tag" the start and end of your activity Once you've synced your band, you can enter the details of your workout.
- How does UP know my exertion level? Will it track my heart rate?
- UP uses a precision motion sensor to track your movement intensity and exertion level throughout the day, that does not read or rely on heart rate. You can also enter your effort level for specific workouts you log in the app.
- Which wrist should I wear it on?
- We've found wearing UP on your non-dominant hand delivers the most accurate results, but either wrist will work.
- What devices are compatible with UP?
- Check out the current UP device compatibility list.
- How do I get the app?
- The UP app is available for free in the App Store and Google Play.
- How does UP track what I eat, and where do the nutrition guidelines come from?
- We've made tracking what you eat or drink quick and easy, with the flexibility to go as light or deep as you want. This can be as simple as using a photo, or as detailed as capturing all the information in a nutrition label. You can select a picture from the UP gallery of food items, or snap your own; scan a barcode or type in to search our food database; or create your own items, entering how many calories, fats, proteins, and carbohydrates you ate. Rather than focusing only on calories, UP encourages you to eat a healthy and balanced diet by mapping the foods you log to daily percentages based on USDA recommendations.
- How does the app come up with the insights it gives me?
- Jawbone has a team of data scientists, machine learning experts and writers who analyze system data to recognize trends, patterns, and correlations to create algorithms that deliver meaningful insights to you, based on your personal data. The more you track, the richer the reward.
- What is a Smart Alarm and how does it work?
- The UP Smart Alarm is a great way to wake up feeling refreshed. Set up to four alarms, and UP analyzes your sleep cycle to wake you with a gentle vibration, at the most ideal time within a 10, 20 or 30-minute window.
- What is an Idle Alert and how does it work?
- The UP Idle Alert is a great way to remind you to get up and move. You can set an Idle Alert within the app, so the band will gently vibrate if you've been inactive for a period of time.
- What data is stored on the band, in the app, or on my phone? What if I want to delete my data?
- Your band will store up to nine months of movement and sleep data. You can delete any activity or sleep tracked in the band via the Help screen in the app. Performing a hard reset of the band will also erase all data from your band. Once synced, your data is stored in the Cloud so you can access your data anywhere, though the app will cache your most recent data to improve performance.
- Is UP connected to Facebook or Twitter? Can I share my UP data through my existing social networks?
- Currently, the UP app allows you to share your move, sleep, eat summaries through Facebook and Twitter. Also, UP allows you to create a team of your friends and family so you can share your progress and cheer each other on. You can connect with friends who use UP through your address book, Facebook and Twitter contacts, or by email lookup, and then choose what information is shared with them within the UP app. Only your name and profile image are publicly searchable in the UP directory.
- How does Jawbone protect my privacy?
- How can I see my progress?
- All of your data is viewable through the app. Your Home screen shows daily progress; your Trends screen shows activity over days, weeks, and months; and your Lifeline shows your progress since using UP. You can also download your data from the Account Settings section of Jawbone.com.